Create and Execute Basic Request
Create basic request
To quickly create and execute basic request, select menu option 'Tools/Basic
Request' or press 'Ctrl+B'. You can specify the following data in the window that opens:
- Execution URL; enter URL against which you want to execute request, for example,
'http://www.example.com'. If you do not provide the protocol that you want to use, for example,
you enter only 'www.example.com', the 'http' protocol will
be prepended automatically.
- Request headers; specify request http headers that will be included with the request. Each header must be specified on a separate line,
name and value for each header must be separated by a colon. Particular header can be excluded by preceding it with a double forward slash. Excluded headers will be ignored during the execution and won't be part of the request data.
- Request encoding; specify encoding that will be used for the request.
- Method; select one of the methods available in the drop down or type the desired method name.
- Protocol version.
- Content type; select content type from the drop down or enter your own.
- Viewer; select pretty viewer for request body. This setting is only for more user-friendly display, you can safely leave this at default value (Text).
- Request data; the following upload types of request data are possible:
- String data type; to specify string request data, enter string data in the request data field or
click 'Build Request Body' button to build body from an existing HTML content. The body specified here will be
added to the request and will be encoded with the selected request encoding. Particular data item can be excluded by preceding it with a double forward slash. Excluded data items will be ignored during the execution and won't be part of the request data.
- Single file contents type; if you want to upload file from disk, select corresponding option and enter full path to the file on the disk.
You can also click button 'Browse Files' and browse for the file on the disk.
Multipart form data type; If you want to upload multipart form data, select corresponding option and enter each data element on a separate line,
you can also include files (with full paths) from your computer.
Content type should be set to 'multipart/form-data' (set automatically when this upload type is selected).
During upload process, HttpMaster will include all data elements with valid file path as files; others will be included as plain text data.
If you would like to include content type with particular element, specify content type value after the element value and separate them with vertical bar.
Particular data item can be excluded by preceding it with a double forward slash. Excluded data items will be ignored during the execution and won't be part of the request data.
Execute basic request
To execute basic request, click 'Execute selected request tab' button
in the execution toolbar or press 'F5'.
After the request is completed, the request/response data is displayed in the
panel below the request data. For more information about execution results, see
the corresponding topic.
To stop current execution, click 'Stop current execution' button in the
execution toolbar or press 'Shift+F5'.
If you would like to change execution timeout value, click corresponding button in toolbar and specify timeout value in seconds.
The value specified for execution timeout affects all basic request tabs.
Default timeout value
Default timeout value when basic request window is opened is set in the following way:
- If basic request window is opened directly (not via some project request item), default execution timeout value is set to the last used value (30 seconds on the first use).
- If basic request window is opened via some project request item, default execution timeout value is obtained from the project properties ('Request timeout' value in project properties).
If you would like to include authentication data with the request, click 'Authentication Data' menu and specify necessary data.
See Authentication data for more information.
If you would like to obtain authorization code from authentication provider, click 'Authorization Code' menu and specify necessary data.
See Authorization Code for more information.
Additional request options
The following additional request options are available:
These options affect all basic request tabs.
- Follow Redirection Responses; if enabled, http return codes from redirection range (3xx) won't be returned to the application, but will automatically redirect.
- Create Persistent Connection; creates persistent/non-persistent connection by sending the 'Connection' header with the 'Keep-alive' or 'Close' values.
- Automatically Decompress Response Data; adds 'Accept-encoding' header and automatically decompresses received compressed data.
Save basic request data as project
If you would like to save basic request data as a new project, click button to create new project available in basic request window toolbar.
In the displayed window you will have to specify project name and name for each request item;
when project will be created, HttpMaster will create separate request item for each opened request tab. At the end of the operation, basic request windows will be closed and
newly created project will be immediately opened in the main window.
Option to create new project from basic request data is only available if no project is currently opened in HttpMaster.
If some project is opened in HttpMaster, button for creating new project is disabled.
Open project request items as basic request
Any project request item listed in the main window can be opened as basic request.
To open selected items in the basic request window, click 'Run/Open Selected Items in Basic Request Window'
menu option or press 'Ctrl+Shift+B' and basic request window will be opened with the execution data of the selected request items (each selected item will be opened in its own tab).
Additional project items can also be opened when basic request window is already opened. To open additional project request item as basic request, double-click the desired item in the list available in the right part of the window. New tab will be created with the execution data of the selected request item.
In Professional edition, it is also possible to open all project request items from particular execution group in basic request window.
Copyright © 2018 by Borvid. All rights reserved.